Jaffna 360 Jaffna 360 Jaffna 360 Jaffna 360
Jaffna 360 > Valikamam (25)
Mahajana College Tellippalai
Mahajana College Tellipalai was founded in 1910 by a scholar Mr. T.A Thuraiappahpillai in a small place, to meet the educational needs of the Hindu Children in Tellipalai and the surroundings. It was shifted in 1912 to the current location, which is along the Vallai-Tellippalai-Araly Road. It is a Public-Provincial Grade 1 mixed school with classes from grade 1 to grade 13. The college motto is “Know Thy Self” and its flag colour is maroon and white.
[View 360]
University of Jaffna
The University of Jaffna is a public university that was established in 1974 as the sixth campus of the University of Sri Lanka. UoJ became an independent, autonomous university in 1979. It is located in Thirunelvely, around 4km north of Jaffna town and has nine faculties, but not all the faculties are located in this premises. This premises originally belonged to the Parameswara College, which was founded in 1921 by Pon. Ramanathan.
[View 360]
Sri Pararasasekara Pillaiyar Kovil
Sri Pararasasekara Pillaiyar Kovil is situated in Inuvil, which is around 4 miles from Jaffna town, and along the Inuvil – Manipay road. The temple has a history of over 600 years and had links with the kingdom of Jaffna. The presiding deity in the sanctum sanctorum is the Lord Pararasasekara Pillaiyar. This temple was built during the 14-15th century by the Jaffna king Pararajasekaran. This temple is also known as Madaththu Vasal Pillaiyar Kovil.
[View 360]
Kokuvil Hindu College
Kokuvil Hindu College is a mixed Hindu school in Jaffna. It's located in Kokuvil East, along the K.K.S Road. It is a Public-Provincial Grade 1 mixed school founded in 1910. The school has classes from grade 1 to grade 13 with over 85 teaching staff for over 2200 students. Classes are conducted in both Tamil and English medium. Its flag colour is red and white. The college motto is “கற்றதொழுகு (Practice what you learnt).”
[View 360]
Keerimalai Naguleswaram Temple
Naguleswaram temple situated in Keerimalai, is close to Kankesanthurai seaport and north of Palaly. The temple is adjacent to the Keerimalai spring water ponds. Naguleswaram temple was historically known as the Thirutambaleswaram Kovil, and it is one of the five sanctified Siva temples (Pancha Ishwarams) in Sri Lanka. Nagulaambigai Sametha Sri naguleswara Perumaan is the presiding deity of the temple. The temple is referenced in many ancient religious treatises.
[View 360]
Tellipalai Union College
Tellipalai Union College is a mixed school in the Valikaamam region, in the Jaffna district. It's located in Tellipalai, along the corner of K.K.S Road and Vallai-Tellipalai-Araly Road. It is a Public-Provincial Grade 1 mixed school founded in 1816 by American missionaries. The school has classes from grade 1 to grade 13 with 50+ teaching staff for over 800 students. Classes are conducted in Tamil medium. Its flag colour is maroon and white.
[View 360]
Keerimalai Theertham
Keerimail Theerththam is the holy water of Naguleswaram temple, which is one of the five pre-historic Eeswarams in Sri Lanka. The theertham is believed to have curative values and there are many legends about its curative power. In Keerimalai, the fresh, mineral water from the springs mix with the brackish sea water, and this is referred in legends as the union of powers Sivan and Sakthi. Hindus visit Keerimalai shrine on Aadi amavaasai to perform ablutions and offer prayers to the dead souls.
[View 360]
Chundikuli Girls College
Chundikuli Girls’ College is one of the leading schools for girls in Jaffna. It's located in Chundikuli junction, along the Columbuthurai Road. It is a Private-Christian Grade 1 girls’ school founded in 1896. The college has classes from grade 1 to grade 13 with over 75 teaching staff for over 1500 students. Classes are conducted in both Tamil and English medium. The college motto is “Forward.” Its flag colour is red and black.
[View 360]
Kantharodai Archeological Excavation
Kantharodai has a monument of the Tamil Buddhist civilization in Jaffna one time. It is located about 10km north of Jaffna town, and 2km west of Chunnakam. It has a cluster of twenty miniature dagobas, ranging in height from one to three meters. The dagobas have no resemblance in architecture with other Buddhist religious sites in Sri Lanka. It is believed that these are votive dagobas, and some believe that these are the shrines of the Tamil Buddhist monks. The site is reserved as an archeological site.
[View 360]
Jaffna St. John's College
St. John’s College is one of the leading schools for boys in Jaffna. It's located in Chundikuli, close to Jaffna Katcheri, along the corner of Columbuthurai - Old Park Road. It is a Private-Christian Grade 1 boys’ school founded in 1823. The college has classes from grade 1 to grade 13 with over 100 teaching staff for over 2100 students. Classes are conducted in both Tamil and English medium. The college motto is “Lux in tenebris luce (Light shines in the darkness).” Its flag colour is red and black.
[View 360]

[First Page] [Previous] Showing Page 2 of 3 Pages [Next] [Last Page]

facebook twitter
hit counters